Mission, vision, values and strategic focus
Our mission: What we do
We create and advance knowledge, prepare a diverse student body to thrive, and positively impact local and global communities.
Our vision: What we aspire to
We will be a preeminent, public, urban research university known for academic and research excellence, success across a diverse student body, and meaningful engagement in its urban community and around the world.
Our values: How we work
- Collaboration: When we work together, drawing upon various talents and perspectives, we achieve better results.
- Integrity: We keep our word, live up to our commitments, and are accountable to ourselves and each other.
- Innovation: We are unafraid to try new things and learn by both failure and success.
- Excellence: We strive for the highest-quality outcomes in everything we do.
- Diversity and inclusion: We value all people and understand that their unique experiences, talents and perspectives make us a stronger organization and better people.
- Leadership: We are proud of our long history as an anchor institution in Detroit and will continue to serve our community while playing a lead role in the city's resurgence.
Based on insight from our Board of Governors and input from internal and external stakeholders, the following were identified as strategic focus areas.
- Research and Discovery: An unrelenting quest
- Teaching, Learning and Student Success: The heart of our university
- Outreach and Engagement: Our inextricable ties with our community
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Our unwavering commitment
- Financial Sustainability and Operational Excellence: The necessary foundation for our mission