- Received the 2018 Degree Completion Award from the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities.
- In 2018, Wayne State welcomed the largest freshman class in its history.
- Launched Warrior Way Back, a debt-forgiveness program that helps returning students complete their degrees.
- Established Wayne Med-Direct, an innovative program that funds four years of undergraduate studies and four years of medical studies for students committed to careers that eradicate health disparities and inequity.
- Partnered with RaiseMe to launch the first-ever microscholarship program for student success.
- Launched ReBUILDDetroit, an NIH-funded undergraduate program to increase the number of underrepresented students pursuing scientific research.
- Created the Heart of Detroit Tuition Pledge for eligible students living in the city of Detroit and/or attending a Detroit high school.
Research and innovation
- Research award dollars rose more than 70% from 2014-18.
- Awards for the National Institutes of Health rose 7.6%.
- Launched Detroit Urban Solutions, a technology innovation consortium with TechTown and NextEnergy. The initiative includes the transformation of the former NextEnergy building into the Wayne State Industry Innovation Center. The new facility will house collaborative research initiatives between the university and industry partners focused on cyber physical systems including cyber security, connected and autonomous vehicles, and "smart-city" technologies.
- Began construction on the STEM Innovation Learning Center, a facility that will bring the university's STEM programs into one building and offer flexible classrooms, seminar spaces, offices and high-tech instructional spaces for hands-on learning.
- In 2018, Wayne State held the "Collaborating to Enhance Health Equity in Detroit" summit to bring together individuals from multiple disciplines to discuss interventions and actions to promote healthy eating, healthy behaviors and healthy environments, and to counter the opioid epidemic in Detroit.
- Received a $25 million gift to establish the James and Patricia Anderson Engineering Ventures Institute to foster entrepreneurship by offering expert guidance and resources for faculty and students during the startup process.
- Received the 2019 Innovation and Economic Prosperity University award from the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities.
- Developed a new master plan to shape the future look and function of campus.
- Surpassed the $750 million fundraising goal of Pivotal Moments: A Campaign for Wayne State University.
- Received the largest single donation to the university with the $40 million gift to establish the Mike Ilitch School of Business.
- Completion of the Mike Ilitch School of Business building in The District Detroit.
- Increased student housing by 800 beds with the completion of the Anthony Wayne Drive Apartments.
- Restoration of the Thompson Home, a housing option for students in the arts.
- Restoration of the School of Social Work building.
- Broke ground on the Gateway Performance Complex for the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts.
- Established a partnership with the Detroit Pistons to construct a new $25 million arena for Wayne State's men's and women's basketball teams. The arena also will serve as the home of the new NBA G League affiliate in Detroit.