Deadline: February 15, 2017
- An academic year (fall and winter) release time to engage in creative activity.
- The program is funded at an annual maximum of $85,000 (includes salary/benefits), plus additional funds to cover instructional costs that were part of the recipient’s teaching load.
The Murray E. Jackson University Creative Scholar in the Arts award is a presidential initiative created with the following objectives:
- To create an annual award that supports a faculty-artist in residence program.
- To showcase exceptional faculty talent in the traditional performing, creative, and visual arts as well as more non-traditional arts, in pursuit of the university’s mission and goals.
- To honor the memory of Murray E. Jackson, a valued member of the WSU community.
To allow the awarded faculty member an academic year (fall and winter semesters) to engage solely in creative activity and to serve as an artistic and creative resource to the campus.
The recipient will be “in-residence” to share their process as they engage in artistic activity that will enhance the campus as a creative environment. Their working process and the final artistic product are expected to be shared (performed or displayed) so as to make that work available to students, other faculty, and the public.
Any full-time faculty member of Wayne State University, with a minimum of 5 years of service to the university, who has achieved or shows promise of achieving distinction in his/her career; who is engaged in a creative field including the performing arts, visual arts, and letters; who has demonstrated extraordinary originality and dedication in his/her creative pursuits; and whose work exemplifies a clear sense of purpose and direction is eligible. Awards will be made through a nomination process detailed below. No self-nominations will be accepted.
Nomination: Academic departments will nominate a candidate(s), providing a narrative explaining the reason for the nomination, together with three letters of support for each candidate. Two of these letters must come from references outside of Wayne State University. Departmental nominations will be forwarded to the dean of the relevant school or college. The dean will review the nominations and prepare a cover memorandum, which will include his/her perspectives on the nominee(s).
The application cover and supporting materials should be forwarded to Julie Miller, chair, Murray E. Jackson University Creative Scholar in the Arts Selection Committee, 4231 Faculty/Administration Building. Nominations must be received by February 15, 2017. The Selection Committee will forward its recommendation to the provost for presentation to the president. The final decision is made by the president.