In the community
Wayne State's role as a community leader is equally important as our position as a top-tier research university. Our location in the heart of a major city presents unparalleled service opportunities for our students, whether they advocate for others through the Detroit Free Legal Aid Clinic or provide medical care to the homeless community via Street Medicine Detroit. We also play a vital role in the education of our neighbors through a wide array of hands-on enrichment programs ranging from Math Corps to the Mobile Arts Workshop.
After all, changing our world begins right outside our front door — and we are proud to set a precedent for how communities and institutions of higher learning can best collaborate.
President Wilson takes Wayne State's community mission to heart. Included on this page is a list of the community-focused governing boards he serves on within the state of Michigan.
Michigan governing board memberships
- Business Leaders for Michigan (Executive Committee)
- Citizens Research Council
- Detroit Economic Club
- Detroit Economic Growth Corporation
- Detroit Jazz Festival Foundation
- Detroit Regional Chamber
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra
- Downtown Detroit Partnership
- Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, Detroit Branch
- Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (Presidents Council)
- Karmanos Cancer Institute (Executive Committee)
- Michigan Association of State Universities (Presidents Council)
- New Detroit
- TechTown Detroit (Chairman)